Eastern Europe Grand Journey ¢w Summer 2006
Created August 2006
There are two parts of this journey: The first part "The Western Balkan Trip," I traveled mainly in the former Yugoslav republics, with the tour operator "Intrepid Travel". After the Intrepid tour was over, I also traveled backpacking in Croatia, Slovenia, and Italy (only Venice).
After an unpleasant interview in the US in mid-June, I decided to return to the Eastern Europe to continue my journey. This second part of tour was completely solo and independent. It was not easy since I am not a very outgoing person. I did not meet as many fellow travelers as I hoped. Also very unfortunately, my camera and digital camcorder were stolen on a night train from Poland to Romania (though they were stolen when this train was passing by Hungary) Warning: Do not take night train in these Eastern European countries if you can! The conductor and the custom officers are not even helpful once any bad thing happens!
Anyway, traveling in Eastern Europe was a mostly challenging but rewarding experience. Since my memory card was lost together with the stolen camera, I did not have too many pictures to post here for the seocond part of the journey. But I still hope you can enjoy them!
In front the Mostar Old Bridge, a 500 years old bridge that was destroyed in the Yugoslav War but rebuilt recently
Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Sofia, the grandest and most famous church in Bulgaria
My Travelogues and Photo Album from this trip
Chapter One: Ghosts of Yugoslavia - The Western Balkan Trip
Chapter Two: From the Balkans to the Baltics and Back - An Independent Taiwanese on the Road
This part of my trip is posted on my Travelpod.com webpage. Check it out here
- Part I: Leaving for Europe
- Part II: It's A Different City - Athens, Greece
- Part III: To Alba or Not to...
- Part IV: A Less Mysterious Country - Saranda, Albania
- Part V: (I don't want to) Party All the Time - Corfu, Greece
- Part VI: Trapped in Athens
- Part VII: You're Still the One (I Run to) - Berlin, Germany
- Part VIII: Arrived in the Baltics - Vilnius, Lithuania
- Part IX: Fun and Frustration of Independent Travel
- Part X: The Little Country That Can ...Sort of - Estonia
- Part 11: The New Prague - Riga, Latvia
- Part 12: Heat Exhaustion in Warsaw, Poland
- Part 13: Back to the (City of) Glory - Krakow, Poland
- Part 14: A Really Long Wait to Cross the Border
- Part 15: So Frustrated...Stuck in Ukraine?
- Part 16: Their Time Will Come - L'viv, Ukraine
- Part 17: An Even Longer Wait (to Cross..)- Back to Poland
- Part 18: Back to Krakow!
- Part 19: Train D381: The Worst Train Ride in My Life (Unwritten yet)
- Part 20: Into the Wild Transylvanian Night
- Part 21: Where Dracula was Born - Sighisoara, Romania
- Part 22: A Piece of Dislocated Deutschland - Sibiu, Romania
- Part 23: Brasov- Krakow of Transylvania?
- Part 24: Bucharest - The Most Avoided Capital in Eastern Europe
- Part 25: The No Longer Bitter End of the Danube - Leaving Romania
- Part 26: A Welcomed Change of Mindset - Getting into Bulgaria
- Part 27: The Byzantine Glory - Sofia, Bulgaria
- Part 28: The End of Second Balkan Trip
- Part 29: One Night in Bangkok Makes...
- Part 30: The Grand Finale - What's Left of Me